Friday, July 20, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises

Folks, I'mma be serious for this one. Batman has always been important to me and seeing the finale of the trilogy was a big moment. Lot of weird feelings deep inside that weren't hungry or horny and even some salty deposits came from my eyes. Crossing this one off The List was a bitter sweet moment.

I saw The Dark Knight Rises last night at midnight. Not only that, but the day started at noon with the two Michael Keaton/Tim Burton movies and then at 6pm in the theaters we began Batman Begins and The Dark Knight in succession. I sat in the audience with some of my best friends with whom I had see the other films and countless trailers and articles, and it really felt like a journey was coming to a close. It was surreal.

Watching BB and TDK in theaters again and right after each other made me and my movie-going peers realize just how awesome they really are. We even got into a discussion of whether BB is better than TDK. That may seem silly, but seriously it's an awesome movie and people forget about it.

The crowd was very into it. Clapping and cheering at the start and end of each film. When the real previews began before TDKR moans came with each new preview screen as people readied themselves for the movie to finally begin.

And what a movie. I'll fully admit I wasn't as into the foreplay, if you will, of this film as TDK. The viral campaign for the middle child was unreal and got me so pumped up. Because this one had so much anticipation, I suppose they weren't forced to do such an in-depth marketing campaign to get people interested. All Nolan and co. needed to do was to live up to the hype.

I won't say much because I don't want to even hint at a potential spoiler. I will say that I plan on seeing it in theaters at least once more so I can fully grasp everything going on. The ending is arguably the best I've ever seen, and surely an epic wrap-up to an amazing trilogy.

All the fears around casting decisions, like with fears over Eckhart and Ledger before, were completely wiped out. Everything was perfection. It has a different pacing and it's probably even darker than the others, but in the end you'll walk out feeling speechless and satisfied. Just like how I like my women.

Before the premier an employee of the theater came out and gave out prizes for people answering trivia questions about the movies. One question was this: Nolan has one-word themes for all three movies; can you name them? The answer was fear, chaos, and pain. But I disagree. After seeing this movie I think the central theme is hope.

Then I got this tattoo
My blog is up there, guys

No comments: