Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Amazing Spiderman

First up in my double movie day I saw the reboot of Spiderman. I don't have much to add beyond what everyone else has said and knows: it's a duplicate of the first origan story. However, I think that those who didn't like Tobey's take would enjoy Andrew Garfield's. Plus Emma Stone is always going to win out over Kirsten Dunst. Add in Sally Field, Martin Sheen, Rhys Ifans, and Dennis Leary, and baby, you got yourself a stew going!


Literally, everything was identical to the first. They set up Andy as a dork in high school after his earlier years of going to live with his Uncle and Aunt following a break in at his dad's scientific research office. He gets bitten and wakes up uncertain of why he is acting so strangely. Goes to school and gets revenge on the school bully. The mentor he was confiding science gobbledigook ends up being the bad guy he's chasing. 

I can't believe I'm admitting this but some scenes did get me to tear up so that has to speak to something. Maybe when the city of New York banded together to help Spidey it just reminded me so much of the ending to Ghostbusters 2 when everyone sings along with Lady Liberty so the pink goo goes away that I couldn't contain myself. 

It is entertaining though so you won't be disappointed at all but if you're going to be bothered but the similarities you may want to hold your money till it comes to video.

1 comment:

Steph Sessa said...

can we even compare emma to k. dunst? (especially when all i see are those teeth?) everything emma touches turns to gold.

as i said before, andrew garfield looks like my cousin so i cannot comment on him. though he does a great american accent. no i didn't see the social network.